A recent study titled “Effect of Aerobic Training Versus Chair Aerobics on Body Mass Index and Quality of Life in Obese Desk Job Workers” by S. and Aakanksha Joshi, published on April 16, 2023, offers valuable insights for fitness professionals working with obese clients. This study compared the effects of traditional aerobic training on a treadmill with chair aerobics, focusing on their impact on Body Mass Index (BMI) and quality of life.
The study revealed that while both forms of exercise positively impacted BMI and quality of life, there were notable differences in the outcomes. Traditional aerobic training showed a more significant reduction in body weight, whereas chair aerobics led to greater improvements in quality of life. This suggests that while aerobic training might be more effective for weight loss, chair aerobics could be more beneficial for enhancing the overall wellbeing of obese desk job workers.
Tips for Fitness Professionals
- Personalise Exercise Programmes: Understand that each client has unique needs and limitations. Offer a mix of traditional aerobic and chair aerobics based on their specific goals, be it weight loss or improved quality of life.
- Focus on Enjoyment and Sustainability: Incorporate enjoyable elements into workouts, like music or group settings, to enhance adherence and overall experience.
- Monitor and Adjust: Regularly assess the client’s progress and adjust the exercise programme accordingly, ensuring a balance between effectiveness and enjoyment.
- Educate on Holistic Health: Educate clients about the importance of a balanced diet, adequate sleep, and stress management in conjunction with their exercise programme.
Periodised Workout Plan for Obese Clients
Weeks 1-4: Introduction Phase
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Chair Aerobics (30 minutes) focusing on low-impact movements and flexibility.
- Tuesday, Thursday: Treadmill Walking (20 minutes) at a comfortable pace.
Weeks 5-8: Development Phase
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Increase Chair Aerobics to 40 minutes with added resistance bands for strength.
- Tuesday, Thursday: Treadmill Walking (30 minutes) with gradual increases in speed.
Weeks 9-12: Progression Phase
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Chair Aerobics (45 minutes) incorporating more dynamic movements.
- Tuesday, Thursday: Interval Walking on Treadmill (30 minutes) alternating between brisk walking and a comfortable pace.
Weeks 13-16: Consolidation Phase
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Chair Aerobics (45 minutes) with advanced routines.
- Tuesday, Thursday: Treadmill Jogging (20 minutes) at a moderate pace, followed by a cool-down walk.
The study by S. and Aakanksha Joshi provides a valuable perspective on tailoring exercise programmes for obese individuals, particularly those with sedentary jobs. By understanding the distinct benefits of different exercise forms and creating a periodised plan, fitness professionals can significantly enhance the effectiveness of their programmes, leading to better health outcomes for their clients.
- S., & Joshi, A. (2023). Effect of Aerobic Training Versus Chair Aerobics on Body Mass Index and Quality of Life in Obese Desk Job Workers. Journal Title. Click here to review the full research article.
Transform Lives with a Level 4 Obesity & Diabetes Management Course
Transform lives and expand your professional scope with the TRAINFITNESS Level 4 Obesity & Diabetes Management Course. This specialised programme equips fitness professionals with the essential skills and knowledge to effectively assist clients in managing obesity and diabetes through safe and appropriate exercise programming. Drawing insights from studies like “Effect of Aerobic Training Versus Chair Aerobics on Body Mass Index and Quality of Life in Obese Desk Job Worker“, this course emphasises the importance of tailored exercise interventions. By understanding the unique needs of obese and diabetic clients, you can create impactful, personalised fitness plans that not only aid in weight management but also enhance overall quality of life. Get started now and be a part of the solution in one of the most crucial areas of health and fitness.
Level 4 Obesity & Diabetes Management Course – Distance Study